Friday, August 26, 2011

Foodie Friday! A special birthday treat!

Birthdays are really special to me. I always feel like people should be treated really well on their birthday with special surprises, gifts, and king/queen for a day attitudes. Some of us celebrate our birthdays for a week, while others choose not to celebrate much at all. Well, if you know me...I want your birthday to be special so we're gonna celebrate! 

For my husbands birthday I decided to make him hamburgers. The cutest little cupcake hamburgers EVER. I can't even remember where I found out how to make them, but I decided I was going to try it and they turned out great. I'll show you some pictures and then I'll explain to you how I made them!

Here they are!




Aren't they fun? I will tell you that they are not hard to make. The only thing required here is some time. So this is what I did...step by step.

First I made a pan of brownies. Be sure to line the pan with foil or parchment paper so you can take the brownies out of the pan to cut them. I did not do this. Let me tell you it was a HUGE pain trying to cut them into circles after they cooled. That said, I made them the night before. Let them cool all the way and cut them into circles. I made the circles by pressing a small jelly jar into the brownie and it worked great!

Now grease a muffin tin REALLY well and bake some cupcakes from a white cake mix. Before you put them into the oven sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top. DO NOT use muffin liners for this. Put them right in the muffin tins that you have greased well. Again, I am telling you to grease them well, multiple times, because I did not. I lost some cupcakes because they stuck to the bottom of the muffin tin. Not so cool.

Okay while those are in the oven make some cream cheese frosting. We all have our own recipes for this so get yours out, look one up, or buy it already made. I made my recipe up that day and can't tell you exact measurements. Divide the frosting in half in two bowls. Die one bowl of frosting red and the other bowl yellow. You will be in shock when you see how much red food coloring it takes to die the frosting a true red. I was in a bit of a panic thinking that I was going to end up with pink "ketchup" but it turned out okay. I must have used at least 30 drops of red food coloring. Be prepared!

Now grab a cup or so of shredded coconut and die it green. Obviously, this is the lettuce!

Let your cupcakes cool all the way. I put mine in the fridge so they would firm up so I could cut them in half. 

Now cut all of your cupcakes in half and spread one side with red frosting and one with yellow frosting. Stick the brownie "hamburger" on the bottom "bun" and press the died coconut onto the top bun where the frosting is. Put it all together and BAM! You've got cute little hamburger cupcakes.

WARNING: If you make these for a kids party, send the kids home with these or have them eat them at the end of the party. They are so sweet that the kids will be bouncing off the walls after eating them. Let their parents deal with the hyperactivity that will follow. If you don't like their parents, all the better since they may never speak to you again.

When my husband got home and I showed these to him, he had a huge smile on his face. I think the cupcakes, alone, were the best present ever. He kept asking me if I took pictures. Yes, honey, I have a blog! Of course I took pictures!

I hope you'll try these yourself! 
Have a fabulous weekend!
-Stacy







1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Lovely cakes! For some reason you are not on FB anymore? I was just making our plans for the MN trip and we planned to visit you. Are you still up for it let me know, ctubbin@gmail.com.

    Our idea was Mon Sep 12th

    Rgds Carl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...